The Bar 1951, Keeping the Malate Charm

I grew up with Malate as my favorite Saturday night destination.  But since most of the bars we frequent closed, we're forced to search for a hangout somewhere else. The only remaining establishment we're loyal to that's still open is Cafe Adriatico. That's until we chanced upon The Bar 1851 one Saturday night.


The patrons are a mix of expats, students, artists and music enthusiasts.

It's a quaint two storey bar with a loft on the 2nd level. The ground floor houses the performance area, with bands playing on weekends. The repertoire is mostly blues, jazz, and a fuzion of local reggae. The smoking upper level is more of a lounge, with walls used to display works of local artists.


I usually come to work on my laptop on weeknights over a pitcher of their Mango Mojito, or a bottle of red wine. Yes I can finish that much by myself.  On weekends, I would watch the band as they play. I would make it a point to come when Talahib is playing.  Catch the performance schedule on their Facebook page.


The Bar 1851 is located along Adriatico St. between Remedios and Mother Ignacia.



Comments

Popular Posts