Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Inaugural Speech

One of the item in my bucket list is to make a speech in front of a crowd.  My grades studying was not good enough to  entitle me a spot during graduation, so i just hoped that it's my beauty that would give me the opportunity.  I imagined myself walking on stage from end to end as my voice recorded speech plays in the background.   Towards the end, I would wave at the crowd on both sides with teary eyes and slowly confetti falls from the ceiling as I blew kisses to the crowd.

That remains a dream, well at least the speech part was granted sooner.  Having been elected as the new Chapter President for UAP Manila Corinthian, I was privileged to give my inaugural speech to the members that voted for me, witnessed by the National Officers and guest of the organization.

My relationship with the professional organization started even before I graduated.  I was a student assistant before in the late 90's for the convention that was held at Manila Midtown Hotel now Robinsons Place Ermita.  It was my mentor Arch Gabbie Cascante that allowed me to appreciate the world of the professional architects.  I was a confused child growing up but comforted to have chosen the right course and career for me.  Similarly, Arch. Fred Gacutan and Arch. Gil Evasco gave valuable lessons that not only honed my skills but my values as well.


I can still remember the day I  passed the board exam, It was Arch. Gabby who broke the news for me.  I will forever remember him for that.  When finally I had to choose the chapter where I should belong, I had no doubt but to join UAP Manila Corinthian Chapter.

Since then I was an active participant to the organization and finally became a part of the board under the leadership of Arch. Marlou Campaner.  From then I was a part of the board holding various positions.  It was through the chapter that I discovered my talent in hosting, that also became a lucrative career that time. 

I would have to apologize for being "pasaway" to Arch. Marc Valencia.  I was young that time and was enjoying the idea of earning on my own that I neglected my duties as an officer.  Everytime I would attend an event, lagi niya sinasabi sakin na pipingutin kita (He would pinch my ear).  That continued, think up to the time of Arch. Ana Valencia. 




It was under Arch. Patrick that I started becoming active again up to the time of Arch. Pam Contantino.  It wasn't until the time of Arch. Vhic Idano, that I took my role as a leader seriously.


Throughout the years  I feel so blessed to have worked with a lot of leaders. No less than the pillars of the chapter.

I would also like to make mention of Arch Weng Ramos, Arch Jill Sevilla for introducing me to being a part of the Organizing Committee for the Tagaytay Conference with Arch. Gil Evasco as the Conference Chairman.  That paved the way for my hosting gig from the Chapter to National Events. They also introduced me to great friends.


What I so loved about this Chapter is the way I feel nurtured.  We started out as Ate's and Kuya's that up to now that I'm in my 30's, I still call them that.  This is my second family and my second home.

Its this nurturing, family type atmosphere that I enjoyed that I would want to continue now that I have been elected as the new President.  Palagay ko iniisip nyo na madali sa akin to because I enjoy the attention and the limelight.  I do, but I always stay away from responsibilities.  Before, as I host much of our activities, I would just attend and run the show.  I must give it to my presidents in the past... mahirap pala mag prepare for an event.  I literally brought my own podium from Pasig to Remedios St. because i want this moment to be perfect.

But now, I accepted the challenge, because I feel somehow I have matured, and comforted that my mentors are here supporting me. Like my big personality, I also have a big dreams for the chapter.

My Vision is to be More than the Usual Chapter of UAP. More than the usual simply means, exceeding what is expected.

We are blessed for having great National Leaders for setting the direction for Chapters and Members with the theme "Promoting the Practice, Protecting the Profession and Serve the members.  As one UAP, we just need to align our mission.

Our first mission for the chapter is to provide More Than the Usual Service to Members.  We can do this by simply setting a response time to answer their inquiries.  Exceeding their expectations. This year we are also taking a more holistic approach in enriching our Architect members.


We will being more than the usual GMM's by taking it out of the function rooms and exploring the sights of the country.  We will not only seek professional growth but create activities that will inspire us and boost our creativity.

We will aim to make our members globally competitive with a series of seminars on professional growth, skills, even marketing and communication and social media.

We will be doing more than the Usual Promotion of our Practice.  If the doctors and dentist have medical and dental missions, we will try to do the same by offering free consultations to deserving clients. 

We can promote our practice through tie ups with NGO's who is already doing so much for the community.

This is Ms. Rosalie of Bato Balani Foundation who converted this eyesore area in Dumaguete as a Mini Park and Learning Center.  Don't you think as Architects we could have done so much more with her projects.  This are just one of the many opportunities that awaits us architects.


In terms of social media, I for one maintain 3 blogs.  Although its mostly on travel and food, but you cant imagine how wide your audience is.  I have a confession, I was the one who created the FB page No to Senate Bill 2770.  In just a few minutes my followers reached 5K.  Imagine how many people we can influence with just a click of the button.

Also, we need to come up with newsworthy endeavors.  In the work, is a tie-up with Korina Sanchez foundation, although its too early to say, but we are hopeful with the results.

In terms of protecting the profession.  Enforcement of our law and is legalities is more of a National responsibility.  But as individual architects, we still can do so much more.  In my work, I have come across two important marketing term.  The blue ocean and the red ocean strategy.  The read ocean in marketing is attacking your competition head on.  The reason why its called red ocean is that it's always bloody.  With the blue ocean, you create strategies that makes your competition insignificant.  You do this by improving your services and exceeding expectation.

We can do the same with our profession.  Until the law is in full effect, we need to constantly improve ourselves, improve our services and business dealings and ensure that only architects can do what they do.  The paper would become secondary.  Rest assured that the chapter will create activities together with the national to equip us with this.

Architects are known to be able to create something physical with their imagination, and hopefully these visions would materialize for the chapter.  I ask for all the members support as what you have shown my predecessors.

Thank you for all your support and lets be More than the usual architect, and more than the usual chapter towards one UAP.


I would also like to express my gratitude to my family, My Sisters who worked as students to help my parents finance me to school.  My Nanay for being an inspiration and to my Tatay, wherever you are, I know you're proud of me, and to Yuyung for being beside me always.  To God Almighty,  The glory is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DAY 2: My Fitness Journey

Im slowly regaining my desired sleeping pattern.  I was able to sleep before midnight and woke up around 9AM. My original intention was to w...