Friday, October 18, 2019

Valedictory Address DOT-NCR Tour Guide Training Batch 12

On the last day of the submission of our project papers, I was asked by Hazel, the training coordinator to prepare a Student Response to the DOT Tour Guide Training Graduation, scheduled just days after.

I remember seeing the program up to that point that included a Valedictory Address, and since I wasn't the one asked to create the speech, I gave up the thought its going to be me.

Admittedly, I came in to the class eager to do best, and ultimately to be the top, but I don't want to expect because I don't want to feel disappointed if not.

So when it was announced that I was the class Valedictorian, it took a while for me settle from shock and extreme gratefulness.

But nevertheless, please allow me share the speech I created initially entitled Students Response, but is now changed to Valedictory Address for the DOT NCR Tour Guide Training Batch 12. 



To our distinguished DOT Undersecretary, Usec. Arturo Boncato Jr.
DOT Assistant Secretary, Asec. Ma. Rica Bueno
DOT NCR Regional Director, Woodrow Maquiling Jr.
Chief TOO, NCR Tourism Regulation Division, Ms. Victoria Margarita Paje
Project Director and Father of Tour Guides, Mr. Bienvenido Claraval
Trainers and Mentors
DOT NCR Tourism Regulation Team
Mabuhay!



I can still remember vividly months ago when I received a message from Ms. Hazel inviting me for the preliminary examination, which was followed by the interview a few weeks after and the start of the class a little more than 30 days ago.

It was on that day that we realized how fortunate we are, that from hundreds who applied, 16 of us made it.

We came from different backgrounds, an architect, a retired grandfather, a returning OFW, educational tour facilitators, businessmen, newly grads, we were just diverse.  But if asked what's common in all of us, is our love for travel, history, culture and our pride of NCR and our Country, which is the Philippines.

The 30 day training period wasn't easy, and at some point extremely challenging.  In that short span of time, we need to transition to become a repository of information and the best representation of our beloved region and the Philippines.

We were bombarded with information, skills, techniques, best practices which to an ageing individual like myself, and some of my colleagues was difficult. 

It was the words of Fred DeVito; the helps motivate me, and enable us to help each other.  If it doesnt challenge you, it wouldn’t change you!

Admittedly, coming in to the class, I did not know that there is a science to Tour Guiding and that it can be a profession.  Now, my biggest regret is not undergoing the training when I was younger.

Im sure that my colleagues would agree to the positive improvements the training has given us. Now we are naturally observant and inquisitive.  I am more appreciative of architecture because its now rooted on history and culture rather than appearance and theories.  We will forever remember Sinigang, Mehan Garden, PICC, Paco Park, and passing by Roxas Boulevard and EDSA will never be the same again.  

But my biggest take away from this experience, is that it is never too late to learn or re-learn, and learning is a lifetime process. Knowledge knows no age.  The more knowledgeable we are, the better person and tour guide we can be.

In behalf of the Batch 12 of the DOT Tour Guide Training, we would like to thank all our speakers, but most especially, Sir Bien, Sir Rey, Ms. Yael, Ms. Joanna, our panelists, Ms. Dolly, Sir Boy and Ms., Bamba for their generosity and patience.

Thank you to my group mates (West), Aimee, Massi, and Eric for exerting your best to every task.  To my batch mates for the learnings and the friendship.


We acknowledge that this is just the beginning, and the true test of our learning is through our actual guiding.

Rest assured, that Batch 12 is committed on being if not pursuing to be best representation of NCR and the Philippines.

Thank you.

Arch. Omar Palero

Photos: CTTO

No comments:

Post a Comment

DAY 2: My Fitness Journey

Im slowly regaining my desired sleeping pattern.  I was able to sleep before midnight and woke up around 9AM. My original intention was to w...