Friday, January 24, 2020

Sunset Walk In Intramuros and Binondo

With the extended hours of Fort Santiago, a visit to Manila can now be done late in in the afternoon towards the evening.

I personally visited the area to check on the sights I could visit beyond the museum hours.

I started the tour at the Sky Deck on top of the Bayleaf Hotel within Intramuros.  Its a good place to catch the famous Manila Bay sunset over the horizon while looking down on the walled city.

The National Museum as viewed from the Sky Deck of Bayleaf Hotel

The sun setting over the horizon at Manila Bay.
 Afterwards, I walked my way to San Agustin, the oldest stone church in the country.  By this time, the Museum complex is now closed and I had to settle to just marvel at the facade and the imposing wooden doors.  A glimpse of the church interiors can be seen should there be a mass being celebrated on the time of your visit.

San Agustin Church
 I walked my way around the back of the church to check the Gallery of the Philippine Presidents.


Just around the corner is the Plaza San Luis Complex.  Only the shop houses are open, but Barbaras, the restaurant is now preparing for their nightly buffet dinners that comes with a cultural show.

Casa Manila at Night

The Patio at Casa Manila at Night
 I navigated my way to Manila Cathedral, where you can marvel at the adjacent buildings like the Palacio Del Governor and the Ayuntamiento.

Palacio Del Governador

Manila Cathedral

Manila Cathedral at Night

Ayuntamiento
 Right at the end of General Luna Street is the entrance to Fort Santiago.  This would be the first time I'm visiting at night and  I love how the structures and park were lit.

Fort Santiago Gate at Night

View of Manila from the Postigo de La Nuestra Senyora De Soledad

Jose Rizal Prison Cell
Since its just a few days before Chinese New Year, I decided to continue the trip the Binondo just across the River and made a stop at the newly improved Jones Bridge.



Preparations for the Chinese New Year celebration is very evident on the streets with fruit vendors selling charms to attract prosperity.


I lighted an incense at an altar on the side of the road before finding a spot for dinner.


I opted for vegetarian food right at the corner of Salazar Street and Ongpin Street, since they're the only one that doesn't have a long line of patrons waiting by the door.


I must say, experiencing the old city at night is a different way to appreciate the city, its history, culture and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DAY 2: My Fitness Journey

Im slowly regaining my desired sleeping pattern.  I was able to sleep before midnight and woke up around 9AM. My original intention was to w...